Cycling is an incredible mode of transportation, and if you haven't already, it's time to consider switching from driving to cycling. Here are the compelling reasons to trust a bike service and a skilled bike mechanic for your daily commute:
- Longer life expectancy: Studies reveal that those who commute by cycling have a 41% lower risk of dying from all causes. Regular bike service from a reliable bike mechanic ensures your bicycle stays in top shape, contributing to your well-being.
- Reduced carbon footprint: Compared to cars, cycling results in a significantly lower carbon footprint (21g per kilometer cycled) - that's 10 times less than a car's 271g per passenger-kilometer!
- Mental health benefits: 91% of over 11,000 survey participants by Cycling UK rated cycling as crucial for their mental health. Regular bike servicing by a professional bike mechanic ensures a stress-free and enjoyable ride.
- Cost savings: While there are some costs associated with cycling, maintaining a bike with the help of a bike mechanic is far cheaper than running a car. Estimates suggest you can save around £3000 a year if you cycle to work daily!
- Daily exercise: Cycling to work allows you to meet the government-recommended guidelines for exercise (150 minutes a week) without hitting the gym or wearing running shoes.
- Improved immune system: Cycle commuting employees take one less sick day per year on average than non-cyclists, saving the UK economy nearly £83m. Cycling outdoors also boosts vitamin D levels, improving your immune system and overall health.
- Better sleep: Research shows a correlation between cardio-respiratory fitness and sleep patterns. Regular moderate cardiovascular exercise, like cycling, improves fitness and sleep quality.
- Enhanced heart health: Cycling to work is linked to a 45% lower risk of developing cancer and a 46% lower risk of cardiovascular disease compared to commuting by car or public transport.
- Increased productivity at work: Being fitter and healthier enhances work performance. Studies indicate that those who exercise regularly outperform colleagues who don't.
- Avoid traffic jams: Cycling helps you bypass traffic congestion while reducing the number of cars on the road, benefiting the environment and your mood.
- Time savings In urban areas: Cycling can be faster than driving or using public transport, allowing you to avoid congestion and stay fit simultaneously.
- Economic boost: Cyclists are more likely to shop locally, benefiting the economy. If cycle use in England increases to 25% by 2050, the cumulative benefits would be worth £248bn, yielding annual benefits in 2050 worth £42bn.
- Lower COVID-19 risk: The Department for Transport recommends cycling or walking when possible, as there's greater air circulation and less contact with others compared to public transport.
- Reduced pollution: Cycling helps decrease harmful emissions produced by vehicles, contributing to a healthier environment and preventing approximately 40,000 pollution-related deaths in the UK annually.
As you can see, cycling offers numerous benefits. If you ever question your decision to cycle in harsh conditions, revisit this blog to remind yourself of its importance. Share these benefits with friends and colleagues to promote cycling as an eco-friendly and healthy choice. Remember, regular bike service from a qualified bike mechanic ensures a safe and enjoyable ride!